My classroom doesn't have too much diversity on the surface. The class is primarily composed of white students and we have 1 African-American student and 1 mixed student. However, we do have 1 special education student, multiple students who are involved in sports or other athletic extracurricular events, a few NJROTC students, and a few kids who just don't do anything after school. Some of my students have jobs that demand most of their free time and others haven't had to work a day in their life. So although we aren't racially diverse, we have other ways to diversify the students.
Differentiation occurs in a few ways. First, our one student with an IEP gets extra time on his tests and quizzes. However, he's usually NOT the last one finished. We don't like to rush our students because they need all the time they can get however we can't ever tell our SPED student to "hurry up" if he is the last working on a quiz or test (unless the bell rings). Additionally, I try and ask harder questions to the students who are higher achieving and less difficult questions to students who are struggling more. I also try and recognize each student when they are working hard, which looks different on each student. Aside from that, we don't have any big modifications or accommodations that are needed because our class is pretty consistent.
I didn't even think about jobs and their effect on students
ReplyDeleteI like how you specifically differentiate your questioning. I had never thought of that before.
ReplyDeleteI like how you brought up questioning as a way to differentiate. That is the number one way since it is readily available and you can adjust in action during a lesson.
DeleteWhat are some other ways?
I have a resource that I will post to the bb site that might be useful.
I'd love to see the resource since I'm not quite sure I know of too many other ways that wouldn't involve singling a student out for one reason or another.
DeleteI try to do the same thing with my students. Sometimes it still doesn't work out though when even the easiest question stumps them. Some students I think it is better to check on them by personally looking at their work if it is possible.
DeleteAfter paying attention to how I question my students, I have realized that I need to do what you are doing, differentiating my questions!
ReplyDelete