Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Technology

Here at Farragut, we don't really use technology in the classroom. I think the biggest reason is because we simply don't have access to technology. We have a "classroom" set of calculators totaling a whopping 7. We also have a Math Lab but there's so many computers that don't work and so little time that we're allotted to use it (rumor has it we can only sign up for 1/2 a block per week) that it's hardly worth it. By the time you get your students in the lab, get them all logged on and explain what program we're using and how to use it, you get maybe 10 minutes of actual computer time. It's just ridiculous. We also don't have clickers or anything else cool to use (like iPads).

There's a huge misconception that since Farragut is in a "rich" part of town, we get all the cool stuff. However, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Rather, because we're in a "rich" part of town, we get hardly any money from anyone because most of the funds are going towards Title I schools and other schools of the like.

Additionally, we're really concerned that students rely too much on the technology they do have. It seems as if so many kids use their calculators to get an answer yet don't understand what the calculator is doing nor what their answer even means. Add this issue to the mix and you've got a bunch of math teachers who find it nearly impossible to use technology in the classroom.

My AR project is on parent involvement and the impact that has on student achievement. I'm curious to see if keeping the parents informed on a regular basis of what's going on in the classroom, our weekly calendar and reports on their child will help improve students' grades or not.

6 comments:

  1. You makea great point about because you are in the rich side of town does not mean you have the most money spend on you in the classroom. Do you have a SmartBoard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a Smartboard and I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. Most days I hate it because it gets rid of my white board space. That being said, I do use it everyday.

      Delete
    2. We used to have our Promethean Board covering over half of the already limited whiteboard space we have. Over fall break we had it moved to cover blank space. I (like you) regularly depend on it and I'm so spoiled with it I don't know what I would do without it.

      Delete
    3. I am surprised by the access issue. In many cases, teachers can receive a class set of calculators by attending a TI workshop and making long term commitments to using the calculator...

      For AR, consider collecting data from parents to find out what would be useful communication/support information to provide...So, part of the project is to figure this out, not just to look at impact. Does that make sense?

      You can also include something from your perspective as the teacher...

      Delete
  2. "It seems as if so many kids use their calculators to get an answer yet don't understand what the calculator is doing nor what their answer even means."

    I love this statement and I hate when this happens. I feel like students depend on calculators too much. A piece of my heart dies when a students 4/1 in a calculator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also do not have an entire classroom set of calculators, but instead we have about 8 graphing calcs and 8 scientific calc. It really doesn't affect how often we use calculators because almost all of the students have their own. Students do not use the calculators for their value but instead only to get 4/1, which I agree with Savannah, a piece of my heart dies.

    ReplyDelete