Imagine cooking a big pot full of noodles. You boil the water, add the noodles, and wait until they're done. However, often times the pot boils over with all of the frothy bubbles. Thanks to Pinterest, I'm sure we all know that if you put a wooden spoon over the top of the pot, the bubbles will rise as high as they possibly can, on the brink of falling, but they won't actually spill.
That's how my class is. My teacher is the wooden spoon to their over-talkative, under-motivated, lack-of-respect boiling over. When my teacher is in the room, she can keep them contained. I'd hardly say they're well-behaved but rather she just keeps the chaos from erupting. Remove her from the room and that's when it all bubbles over.
Today, Friday, my teacher had an IEP meeting during our first block. The IEP meeting included the parents, the student, people from downtow, and they wanted a teacher of record. Because all 4 of this student's teachers had a first block, the teacher with an intern was the one summoned for the meeting. This means that for the last hour of class I was left to handle the students. We decided that it would be best to give them a quiz because 1) they needed it 2) I wouldn't be left to teach the students without the guidance of my teacher and 3) less time that I would have to try and control the class and have them focus their attention on math. When my teacher left, we decided to do quiz review and then I'd give them the quiz and anyone who finished early would be able to work on their homework.
As soon as my teacher left, all Hades broke loose. The kids started badgering me as to where the teacher went, they started freaking out that she was reporting their bad behaviors to the principals, and decided that sitting in class was no longer necessary. I gave them problems to do and about a third of the class actually tried. The other two-thirds decided that conversing about last night's tweets and the most recent drama was of greater importance. I tried my best to maintain order, but to no avail.
The students paying attention made comments such as "I've seen this problem about 20 times already. I know how to do it" and "I already know how to do this. That's why I don't do my homework, because I feel like I don't need to practice what I know how to do" and, my favorite, "Can we just take the quiz now? No one cares." The first comment was from a student who truly does know how to do all of the work and is one of the only few who has a shot at passing this quiz. I appreciate his hard work but he usually aids in others being off tasks when HE is done with the work, regardless of the others being done or not. After the second comment, I made the kid work the problem on the board for me and he found that he didn't quite know these as well as he thought he did. The thrid was from another student who also tries really hard and understands most of the material.
I told the class I wasn't going to talk over them and if they didn't listen then we would start the quiz. They talked so we started the quiz. Somehow, the students thought that, even after all of that, since the "real" teacher wasn't in the room they wouldn't have a quiz. Wrong.
Just looking through the quizzes is sickening in and of itself. Questions we attempted to go over were consistently missed. Problems we didn't go over because they wouldn't listen, there was no hope for them. I really care about these kids but all of our classes have told us we need to hold true to our word. My teacher has always said if they don't listen up we'll start the quiz and usually they listen. Since they didn't today, I didn't see any other option.
I told my teacher what happened and she's beginning to think that partial credit may not be a graciously given on this quiz as usual. She even made the comment that it may be an "all or nothing" type deal. Honestly, most will probably fail.
I know as interns we are constantly facing the battle of being seen as a "real" teacher (or maybe that's just me). It doesn't help that I look like one of the students nor that my teacher wasn't there to oversee everything. What I'm most upset about is how disrespectful the students were to me. I know respect takes time to earn but I would have thought that after a month of being in the room, doing mini lessons, and various other things that the students would have at least attempted to be polite. I didn't expect them to be angels but it's unexcusable for me to receive eye rolls after I tell them to be quiet because quizzes are still out.
And that's my classroom. They're constantly on the brink of exploding and we have to devote as much time to classroom management as we do math. It's wild and crazy and sometimes I think we've got a class full of monkies.
I am sorry that sounds really hard to deal with. And I also have that same problem of going over problems several times and them still acting like they have never seen it before.
ReplyDeleteI honestly loved reading this. You make some great points though. It is hard sometimes to be taken seriously like a "real" teacher.
ReplyDeleteWow that sounds like a difficult class to deal with. I think it is good that you carried through with your promise of giving them the quiz because maybe next time they will reconsider how they act if they know you are serious.
ReplyDeleteGreat analogy! You definitely intrigued me by this post! Although I do not think I have quite a contrast between when my mentor teacher is there versus when she isn't and it's just me. For some of my students, they have an easier time talking back to me than they do to my mentor. I like to relate to them and be able to have conversations with them but not at the cost of their losing respect for me. There has been situations similar where I have had to stick to my guns because I (or the both of us) made it clear what was expected. How many students do you have?
ReplyDeleteWe have 30 that are physically present in class (one girl has NEVER shown up and another is home-bound because she has juvenile arthiritis). They've since told me that they like it when I teach better because they feel like they actually learn and don't just get told to be quiet the whole time, but this is probably because I've started doing more teaching to avoid this problem in the future.
DeleteI like the wooden spoon idea. I had all kinds of images floating around in my head when I read the title of your post. Do you typically feel like a "real" teacher?
ReplyDeleteIt is hard not to take an experience like that personally...it did sound like you stayed calm, firm, etc. which is good. What happened in the next class? Was the situation discussed? I think that would be the way to go to address the things you saw and what you experienced. To reiterate expectations and to make clear consequences after that point.
I usually don't have this problem and I think the fact that I was so blind-sided by it all is what makes it so bad. I talked it over with my teacher at length. I didn't know I had the ability to give out detentions to students. I'm not sure that I would actually have given any out without my teacher being there (especially since I haven't ever done that before) but I think just knowing that I could would have made me feel less hopeless during it.
DeleteAs far as the next class went, we didn't get a chance to talk about it. There was a 3 day weekend in between classes and on Sunday night one of our alumni who graduated 2 years ago committed suicide. We have multiple kids in our class who not only knew the kid, but were good friends with him (we even have the boy's sister's boyfriend in our class). These poor kids have been through so much already this year and to lecture them about not talking when we were even lucky they showed up just didn't seem appropriate.
On that note, however, today in class I got to teach while my teacher ran home to double check that she had turned off her coffee pot. The kids were again getting a little chatty and I did tell them all that they needed to be quiet while I talked because it was not only rude but also hurt my feelings. They responded well to that and I think they just needed the reminder.
I hope this isn't how every day is for you! I think once you start to take over the class and your mentor is in the room the students will behave more and be more comfortable with you and see you as their teacher! Keep it up!
ReplyDelete